Our first grade students build on the foundation they have received from K-5. Students participate in a variety of learning games and activities to enhance their learning. First grade students are learning to become more independent and complete some work on their own. ABEKA, Bob Jones, and Building on the Rock curricula and materials are utilized in the classroom daily.
- Bible: Wisdom Theme- God the creator, the attributes and character of God, the Trinity
- Phonics: review and master phonics rules, apply special sounds, identify root words, prefixes, and suffixes
- Penmanship: correct formation of upper and lower case letters, proper line spacing, introduction to cursive writing
- Reading: decoding words using special sounds, alertness to punctuation, fluid phrasing, comprehension, listening and following along
- Language: capitalization, punctuation, compound words, writing complete sentences
- Math: write and count by 1’s, 2’s, 5’s, 10’s to 999; adding 1,2, and 3 digit numbers; subtracting 1 and 2 digit numbers; simple equations and number sentences; introduction to fractions; plane shapes and solid figures; measurement; reading charts and graphs.
- History: Native Americans, Columbus,Settlements, community, national symbols, and map skills
- Science: the human body, animals, movement, and machines
- Special Areas: music, art, library, PE